Creative Cooking Make- Up Work
Food for Today Text Book available at:
Access Code: AC78E6882A
Make- Up work and Chapter worksheets are available at:
1. Click on Student Center
2. On left side, enter unit and chapter you missed
3. Click on Homework Activities
4. Print worksheets
Gourmet Foods: Extra Credit Opportunities
Select an assignment below (unless given prior approval from the teacher, you may not do a particular assignment more than once). Points awarded for each assignment will be based on the quality of work, as evaluated by the teacher. Each assignment should include a bibliography listing all sources used to write the paper.
- Write a research paper on a current "Food Fad". How did this fad come about? How does it affect our diet? Why do people become influenced by food fads?
- Rewrite a recipe of your choice, substituting ingredients for ones with fewer calories.
- Visit a grocery store and evaluate the ingredients in a convenience food. Compare the nutritive value of these foods compared to homemade products. What factors should the consumer consider when purchasing these products?
- Plan a healthy meal plan suitable for a teenager. Include 3 meals and snacks. Discuss why this is a healthy plan.
- Write a "current event" report from the food section of your local newspaper. Your report must be at least one page long. Attach the article.
- Write a research paper on how to begin a safe exercise program. How important is an exercise program? Explain.
- Research one of the popular weight-loss programs (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc.) What is involved in being in one of these programs? What does it cost?
- Interview three adults to get their favorite recipe. Why is the recipe a favorite? Has the owner modified it to make it his or her own creation?
- Write a research paper on a part of the world (or countries) that depends upon grains for most of its diet.
- Write a research paper on the uniqueness of milk.
- Design a bulletin board for the classroom. Consult the teacher for topic ideas.
- Choose a food item and comparison-shop the item via three different sources. Identify factors that determine price and quality of the product, and compare the product for storage quality, cost, and flavor.
- Investigate the work of one of these men: John L. Mason, Peter Durrand, or Louis Pasteur. What contributions did he make to the food industry by food preservation discoveries?
- Interview an adult from another country. Ask the following questions: What role did mealtime play in your home as you grew up? What were your favorite foods as a child? Why?
Additonal Opportunities-see Mrs. Vensel for more information.
- Improving the Classroom or School: Have an idea for making the school even better? Think you can get needed supplies or equipment donated? Ask me about extra credit.
- Interesting / Relevent Guest Speakers: If you have a connection in the computer industry, business world, or another person who might make a good guest speaker for a Creative Cooking class, Career Studies or Personal Finance classes, please let me know.