Before the Test
- Get a good night's rest
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Bring materials you will need
- Sharpen pencils prior to the test
Approach the test with CONFIDENCE
View the test as an opportunity to show how much you know
During the Test
- Don't let yourself become anxious
- Take a deep breath to relax.
- Pace yourself
- Mark the answer sheet very carefully. Stray pencil marks can be picked up by the computer, causing the wrong answer to be recorded.
Types of Questions
- You have to choose which ending or answer is correct!
- If you know the correct answer, carefully mark it and go to the next question.
- When you are uncertain eliminate the choices you know are wrong
- Look for key words!
- Don't go against your first impulse unless you are SURE you were wrong!
- Don't eliminate answers unless you actually know what every word means!
- READ EVERY ANSWER!
Essay Questions/Writing Prompts
- Before you Begin Writing:
- Really look at the question/prompt. Are you sure you know what it is asking?
- Think about what you are going to say, then make a web.
- Write your answer in complete sentences.
- State things are clearly as you can.
- Write LEGIBLY! If the person grading the test can't read what you wrote they may mark it wrong.
What about MATH?
- Check you math answers for careless mistakes.
- Your first choice is usually correct; don't change answers unless you are sure of the correction.
When you have completed the test
- Use extra time to make sure you answered all the questions.
- Go over the more difficult questions and read them a second time.
- Read Essays/prompts for accuracy first and grammar second.
Don't let others distract you!
Stay focused! If others finish before you, don't panic, use your time wisely.